- 50g salted butter
- 30ml oil
- 100g shallot, diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Pinch nutmeg
- 1 bay leaf
- 600g crown prince, or other squash/pumpkin, peeled and cubed
- 300ml chicken stock
- 200ml full fat milk
- Heat a large saucepan with the butter and oil. Add the shallot and cook for about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, bay leaf and nutmeg. Turn the heat down and cook gently until the onion is soft. You may need to add a splash of water to the pan if it starts to brown.
- Add the crown prince cubes and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the stock and bring to the boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the squash is soft.
- Season with salt and pepper. Add the milk and allow it to heat through. Discard the bay leaf. Remove from the heat and blitz with a hand blender until smooth.