To make the rice pudding:
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4. Place a heavy-based saucepan over a medium heat.
- Lightly toast the vanilla pod, cloves, cardamom pods and cinnamon stick in the dry pan for about a minute.
- Add the coconut milk, sugar and whole milk and bring to the boil.
- Add the orange strips and rice, then lower the heat and gently simmer for about five minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks in a clean bowl. Add the mascarpone, whisking until smooth.
- Turn off the stove and gradually add in the egg yolk mixture stirring constantly to avoid the eggs scrambling.
- Place in the oven for 10–15 minutes.
To make the pineapple, coconut and crushed Brazil nut topping:
- Cut the pineapple into chunks.
- Caramelise in a non-stick saucepan with a little sugar to brown around the edges.
- Toast the coconut flakes until just golden.
To serve top the rice pudding with the pineapple, coconut and Brazil nuts.