- Cut the apricots in half and remove the stones. Place into a small saucepan with the water and sugar. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 3-4 minutes until soft. Remove from the heat, add the almond essence and allow to cool.
- Purée the apricots to the desired consistency: smooth or left slightly chunky. Set aside.
- Whip the double cream until it has become soft peaks, then stir through the Greek yoghurt.
- Gently fold through the purée to give a rippled effect.
- Spoon the mixture into glasses or ramekins. Cover with cling film and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Sprinkle over the pistachios before serving.
- Mix the eggs with the melted butter.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl. Make a well in the centre and slowly stir in the egg mixture. Cover with cling film and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190˚C/170˚ fan-assisted/gas mark 5.
- Lightly grease the madeleine moulds with a little extra melted butter. Fill the moulds with the mixture to about three-quarters full. Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until the cakes are lightly golden and well risen. If you need to cook them in batches, grease the moulds for each batch.
- Turn out onto wire racks.
- Can be served warm or cold with the apricot fool.
For the best flavour, bash a teaspoon of cardamom pods to release the seeds. Crush the seeds in a mortar and pestle or grind in a spice grinder until it's become a fine powder. Ground cardamom is also available at specialist shops or online.